Saturday, January 10, 2015

Best intentions!!!!!

When we approach a new year we are all full of ideas that we will implement in the coming year and wanting to start out in 2015 on the right food I made a few "resolutions" . And knowing me as well as I do I am quite sure I will not fully carry these out!!!!  But I'm gonna try! I have resolved to write this blog more often. I want to get back in the habit of reading my daily devotional each day and not just hit and miss as 2014 was. I have vowed to keep a more orderly house....now that one will be a challenge!!! One thing that I already do and can assure even myself it will continue is reading stories to an after school program my handsome grandson participates in. That an easy thing to do!!!! Those children have become so dear to me and the thought of stopping this great treat of mine is inconceivable ! There is no club next week and I'm sure I will suffer some sort of withdrawal.

The weather is cold here in sunny, warm Florida right now so my mind turne to upping the thermostat and warm comfort foods. I made a batch of my beef vegetable soup last week and plan to make more perhaps next week. It makes a lot and I freeze half for later. This time, however, I shared with my
daughter so no leftovers.  Here my recipe:

Rosemary’s Vegetable-Beef Soup


3 lbs. ground beef (ground chuck preferable)               2 (14 oz) cans beef broth
1 ½ c celery, chopped                                                    Salt and pepper to taste
1 lg. onion chopped                                                        Garlic powder to taste
2 (29 oz) cans diced tomatoes                                      3 bags frozen soup vegetables
1 (14 ½ oz) can diced tomatoes                                     4 c water (or more if too thick)
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce

Brown meat. Remove meat from skillet and discard most of the grease.  In remaining grease saute 
celery and onion till tender. In large soup pot combine all ingredients except veggies.  Cook, covered, over medium-low heat about an hour then add veggies and cook until veggies tender.


This makes an enormous amount of soup so I freeze half of it in small (2-4 serving size) containers.  
This can be done in a crockpot…..a rather LARGE one (or 2 regular size cookers). If done in a 
crockpot start it in early morning and let cook on low all day.  


Tonight I'm making Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry......haven't made it before but it looks fairly simple and sounds very good. We shall see.....

Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry

3 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
1 tsp. oil
3 c. green cabbage, cut in 1/2 inch slices
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Cut chicken breast halves into strips. Heat oil in wok or fry pan. Add chicken strips and stir fry over moderately high heat, turning pieces until lightly browned (2 to 3 minutes). Add cabbage, stir fry 2 minutes until 

cabbage is tender crisp (may cover for awhile). Mix cornstarch and seasonings; add to water and soy sauce mixing until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Cool until thickened and pieces are coated, about 1 minute.

Hope you will try both and then add a comment below as to whether or not you liked it. If you don't just remember that I am not thin skinned. We can't all like everything everone likes! 

Do you like simple quick crafts to work on when it's too cold to go out and do anything? Just this 
morning I saw the coolest votive or tea light candle holder and all it requires is paper, scissors and 
votive candles.....preferably in a small glass holder designed to use with vortices or tea lights. It was 
gorgeous and I imagine it took the instructor about 10 minutes to make it.

Here is the website.....

http://www.icreativeideas.com/diy-paper-lotus-candlestick



Well...the first of my so called "resolutions" has been accomplished. Hope you enjoy it and let me have some feedback. Let me know what I can change or add to the blog. And be honest!!!!! 😊    Feel free to send ideas of future blogs and if you have something to add to it let me know. 

God bless you all and remember to let your faith shine!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment